The big news in the music industry at present is the reformation of two giants of 20th century pop. Both bands were icons for their generation but which comeback tour should you buy tickets for…The Stone Roses or Steps? LMM have taken a little time out to outline the case for each band.
1. Both bands invented dance crazes. With The Stone Roses it was the “simian stroll” much loved by Manc front men like Liam Gallagher and Tim Burgess and copied by lads everywhere. The Steps gave us the 5,6,7,8 line dance and the Tragedy wedding dance. So Steps are the clear winners here.
2.Both acts appropriated traditional music and made something of their own with it. The Stone Roses took Olde English favourite folk song, “Parsley Sage Rosemary And Tyme” and made it into album filler “Elizabeth My Dear.” The canny Steps looked across to the USA line dance craze and updated the country sound to give us the mighty 5,6,7,8.
3. Both bands have encountered H in a bathroom (probably!)
4.The Stone Roses struggled to follow up their classic first album and took five years to come up with Second Coming which had mixed reviews and sold below expectations. Steps knocked out Steptacular in a couple of afternoons and it went 4 x platinum spawning a bunch of hit singles.
5. Steps were the most successful touring act of 2000 whereas The Stone Roses were booed off stage at the Reading Festival due to Ian Browns poor vocals which led to the NME saying”I am The Ressurection was more like The Eternal Cruxification.”
6. When H and Claire left the band stating that they felt Steps had reached their artistic peak Steps split up. When Manni left The Roses they staggered on with a new drummer. Then John Squires left and they drafted in Simply Reds guitarist to knock out a few more dates. Steps win hands down for integrity.
7.Both bands started out on indie labels…….but they both took the wonga and signed to majors.
8. After The Stone Roses John Squires formed the half decent Seahorses and made a so so album. He then retired from public life (we think!) Renni was never seen or heard of again. Manni joined Primal Scream (hurrah!) and Ian Brown has released six solo albums. Steps have made several TV shows including “Steps To The Stars” giving young people the chance to break into show business (this is nothing like the X Factor by the way.) H and Claire signed a £5 million deal with Warners!
9. Steps are playing tons of shows and tickets are flying out. Stone Roses are playing two mega Manchester dates.
10. Only Steps have been brave enough to cover ABBA…not once but twice.
So there you have it. The facts as they stand are above. Now its time to make your mind up….is the Stones Roses reunion “Fools Gold” or a proper Ressurection ? Is The Steps tour a “tragedy” or is it really “steptacular?”
Live Music Management are a UK based entertainment agency supplying function bands and DJs to night clubs ,events ,weddings and parties throughout the UK and beyond. You can see more by visiting www.lmmuk.comor by liking us on facebook here (go ahead and like us….we’re nice guys!) http://www.facebook.com/livemusicmanagemen